The Ruby stone is one of the four most precious stones in the world, along with diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds. So, what is the ruby stone meaning? They are essentially a pure form of Aluminum Oxide with a certain amount of Chromium impurities. It sounds very cheap, but these compounds are extremely rare and they possess a brilliant beauty.
Only red aluminum oxides are called rubies. Other colored oxides are called sapphire. Ruby in nature is very rare, so this stone is artificially produced and has a much lower price than natural stone.
Ruby fully converges all the elements that make up a gemstone, such as: beautiful, eye-catching, rare red color, high hardness, durability, and special optical effects, and is very popular in Vietnam. Pigeon Blood Ruby will be the most valuable.
Table of Contents
- 1. Physical properties
- 2. Ruby stones
- 3. Where are ruby stones abundant?
- 4. What is the Ruby stone used for?
- 5. What does Ruby stone meaning in Feng Shui?
- 6. Evaluation Criteria
- 7. How to distinguish a real Ruby stone
1. Physical properties
Ruby has a high hardness of 9/10 points on the Mohs hardness scale, on par with Sapphire. They are only inferior to diamonds and moissanit.
2. Ruby stones
2.1. Naturally, there are two types of Ruby stone: normal Ruby and Star Ruby.
- Normal Ruby: Normal stone, no star effect on the surface.
- Star Ruby: A stone that appears as a 6-pointed star on the surface when shining a flashlight.
2.2. In terms of processing, Ruby stone is again divided into the following types:
- Completely natural ruby (also known as live ruby): ruby is mined from the mine, not processed.
- Heat-treated Ruby (Fired Ruby): The stone after mining is fired to burn impurities and increase shine.
- Glass-coated ruby: After being mined, it is heated with glass and colored metal so that the glass can penetrate the cracks to increase the gloss and color of the stone.
- Dyed Ruby: Unqualified natural quarried ruby is colored by dyeing.
- Artificial Ruby: Ruby is created in a laboratory, simulating the process of formation in nature.
- Fake Ruby: is a type made from plastic, glass, and synthetic stones that have no value.
3. Where are ruby stones abundant?
Ruby is found everywhere in the world. Quarries are found on every continent except Antarctica. It is most commonly found in Asia. Countries like Myanmar, Thailand, and Sri Lanka are the most important and valuable exporters. In addition, this type of jade is also found in India, China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Luc Yen (Vietnam).
Ruby, discovered in some countries in Africa, such as Kenya and Tanzania, is also of high value. However, in the Americas and Oceania, people only find ruby deposits, not of high value.
Some countries in Europe, such as Finland, Norway, and Macedonia, also have quarries for this gem.
4. What is the Ruby stone used for?
High quality Ruby stones will be used as jewelry, feng shui items, and mascots. Low quality stones are used in other professions, such as gem painting…
5. What does Ruby stone meaning in Feng Shui?
The Ruby stone meaning not only brings aesthetic beauty, but it also has spiritual value. Its characteristic red color symbolizes warmth like “fire” and human vitality like the color of “blood”.
Red is also known as the color of luck and happiness, but the Ruby stone is formed through the process of smelting for thousands of years in the ground. It absorbs the quintessence of heaven and earth, bringing in its energy and spirituality.
Therefore, wearing jewelry or carrying with you mascots with Ruby stone meaning will bring luck and peace.
According to the concept of the East, Ruby is suitable for people who are destined for water, fire, and earth. It is the guardian deity of those who are born in the year of the Pig and the owner is born in July.
According to the Western concept, this gemstone will bring good things to Aries and Scorpio.
6. Evaluation Criteria
A ruby has high value when it comes to factors such as color, clarity, size, and cut (grinding).
- Color: is the most important factor in evaluating a ruby. The color of ruby ranges from reddish-brown to slightly orange and pinkish. The farther the colors differ from the base color, the lower the value.
- Clarity or purity: Natural mined Ruby will never avoid cracks. Less cracked, flawed ones will have a higher value and vice versa.
- How to cut: For a beautiful ruby to be of economic value, it must be handled to perfection. A piece that is cut with high precision in proportions, symmetry, and gloss will have a higher value than those that do not.
- Size: The larger the carat weight (compare stones that are similar in color, clarity, and cut), the more valuable the Ruby will be.
Read more: Price anh use of Blue Ruby stone
7. How to distinguish a real Ruby stone
- For the heat-treated Ruby: There’s no way for ordinary people to tell the difference. It should be taken to the examination room, examined under the microscope, and identified by some specific impurities that have disappeared due to the combustion process. However, this distinction is not very important, because heat treatment is very durable and has little effect on stone value.
- Imitation Ruby: Some stones have a very similar color, often mistaken for Ruby. For example, Garnet, Red Tourmaline, Spinel… These are also quite rare and high-value natural stones. should ask the seller to do an inspection to identify.
- With glass-coated Ruby: This is a very popular treatment because of its low cost. A glass-coated ruby is easily recognizable to the naked eye. Take a phone flashlight to look at it. If there are bubbles inside, the cracks are not clear, the stone is translucent, it is highly likely that Ruby is covered with glass. It should be noted that glass-coated ruby is very cheap compared to live ruby and burned ruby of the same quality. In Vietnam at present, most of the carved products (Ho Ly, Pi Huu, Buddha…) are made from ruby coated with glass.
- Ruby dyed in Vietnam is not very popular. This type is mainly found in India. The dye looks very fresh, like flag red. The cracks are usually darker in color than the others, due to the dye entering. When you take Aceton (nail polish remover) to rub it, you will see the dye stick to your hands.
- Artificial/fake Ruby: This item is clear, beautiful, deep red, spotless. You can tell when you see it. Natural Ruby in general never achieves that quality. And if there is, then no one can afford to buy it.
Above is some basic knowledge about the Ruby stone that Thien Moc Huong Agarwood Jewelry has summarized, hoping to give customers an overview of this one-of-a-kind gem. Good luck with your choice of jewelry.