Obsidian stone is a favorite item today. As a semi-precious stone chosen by many people for its good feng shui properties and meanings. However, many people do not know what Obsidian stone is and its uses and properties. So if you are looking to find out, read the information in this article with KingGems.
Table of Contents
- 1. What is Obsidian Stone?
- 2. Medical and health uses of Obsidian stone
- 3. Who can own Obsidian stone?
1. What is Obsidian Stone?
Obsidian rock, also known as volcanic glass, forms from volcanic eruptions in the form of igneous rock. The structure of Obsidian rock is over 70% Silicon Dioxide (SiO2). We will often encounter Obsidian stones that are black and dark gray, some green, brown, purple, or blue.
Origin of Obsidian Stone
Obsidian stone previously knows to ancient cultures during the Stone Age. It was used to make sharp tools or arrowheads. This type also polishes to make a mirror.
In the Middle East – Ubaid is present-day Turkey in the 5th century BC people found blades from Obsidian. In addition, the Egyptians also used this stone to make tools with blades.
Obsidian rock distribution
Obsidian rock finds in many places with volcanic eruptions. Such as Argentina, Armenia, Guatemala, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand, Peru, Scotland, and the United States. An obsidian ridge has also been found in Yellowstone National Park between Mammoth Hot Springs and the Norris Geyser Basin.
Obsidian deposits can find in several other parts of the western United States. Such as Arizona, Washington, Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Oregon, and Idaho. In addition, Obsidian find in Virginia. In Vietnam, this stone is also found in the Northwest and Central Highlands.
Chemical properties of Obsidian
- Stone Type: Volcanic Glass Stone
- Scientific name: Obsidian
- Chemical formula: SiO2 – Silicon Dioxide contains impurities
- Chemical composition: Over 70% silica, silicon, oxygen, aluminum, sodium, and potassium
- Color: Black, black gray to green, purple, blue, brown, golden, rainbow
- Mohs Hardness: 5 – 5.5
- Specific gravity: ~2.5.
This rock is not stable on the earth’s surface, over time it will decompose into fine mineral crystals. This rock has a low water content when it has not been weathered. Obsidian stone has a dark color but can change depending on the number of impurities contained in it.
2. Medical and health uses of Obsidian stone
2.1. Medical and health uses of Obsidian stone
- When combining volcanic glass and quartz crystals, people see the benefits of treating psychological and spiritual problems. Which helps to relieve pressure, stress as well as helping to bring comfort. roof for the spirit.
- Putting Obsidian under the pillow will help owners have better, deeper sleep and fewer nightmares.
- People often suffer from diseases of the nervous system such as headaches and fatigue. That will feel much more comfortable thanks to the positive impact of Obsidian stone.
- Obsidian stone has also been found to have a positive effect on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, stomach.
- Obsidian also helps stabilize blood pressure and strengthens the immune system.
- The Indians use this stone to demagnetize the field to help reduce the harm from environmental pollution. That helps clean to improve and protect better health.
- Obsidian makes into a scalpel because the blade is sharper than those of steel, cast iron or iron, or alloy. Obsidian knife incisions will be more beautiful, less dangerous for the patient.
- This stone is also an effective pain reliever, used to treat diseases related to joints and muscles.
2.2. The Feng Shui Meaning of Obsidian Stone
In addition to health uses, Obsidian is also known for its spiritual feng shui meanings such as:
- Obsidian is known as a protective stone of integrity. This stone helps to increase strength to protect the owner when in danger. It attracts positive energies and banishes negative energies to protect the owner from evil spirits.
- This stone, thanks to its good energy, helps to protect the mind, reassure the star to stay calm, confident, and alert. Thereby reducing the pressure and dispelling fear, confusion, or unreasonable anger.
- Obsidian is also a stone that enhances positivity for emotional relationships, colleagues, friends, family …
3. Who can own Obsidian stone?
People who have the concubines of the Water and Wood elements can use Obsidian stone. Because Obsidian’s characteristic is dark gray and black. It is the color of the element of Water and the color that is compatible with the people of Wood. So wearing will be good for these people.
So how to distinguish Obsidian stone?
Currently, the market has many places that provide fake stones to deceive customers. For inexperienced people, choosing the right fake is very easy.
However, identifying this stone is not difficult because fakes make from plastic or latex.
Counterfeit goods will usually be very light, especially without the optical effect.
However, there are types that inject with optical effects to create a fake silver luster, but when worn for a period of time. The effect will be gradually reduced because this optical color will be evaporated.
You just need to pay attention to the optical effect and the right price to avoid buying a fake.
Read more: What is the most expensive gemstone