Agarwood or the king of agarwood are the words that people talk about Kinam Oud, 奇楠, Calambac or Qi Nan from the distant past to present day. Kinam is more expensive than gold, rarer than diamond. In tens of thousands, millions of agarwood trees have one tree for KiNam oud. Only the soil of Central Vietnam and Hainan – China region has the right and the highest quality of Kinam.
So, Kinam Oud is a special wood that contains special resinous in the agarwood tree. Kinam Oud is only formed in the core wood of Aquilaria crassna Pierre ex Lecomte. And the Aquilaria crassna Pierre ex Lecomte is only in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thai Lan, Lao, Hai Nan island of China. Vietnam is the origin of these agarwood trees, focus in middle central provinces of Vietnam like Quang Nam, Khanh Hoa, Phu Yen, Binh Dinh, Quang Ngai, Kon Tum. Kinam is very very rare. There is one of the thousands of Aquilaria Crassna trees with hundreds of years may give Kinam Oud. In Vietnam, We often found Kinam Oud in dead agarwood trees that lies underground, steams… And some agarwood hunters also found Kinam Oud in some live ancient agarwood trees with 100-200 years old in forests.
Table of Contents
There are not many people know about real kinam
In the past, Asian, especially Hong Kong businessman because of the nature of their business work, have to go to many strange foreign countries. So they often find a piece of Kinam oud keeps in their body side. The first purpose is to keep their mind alert, then to avoid being covered with curses, omens, charms, and fetishes. Each time when your spirit is not good or distracting, you just only need to smell the kinam agarwood piece. Their smell helps you back to the present.
Because Kinam oud is the convergence of the essence of heaven and earth, what is most gentle and pure. Many people want to have a piece of Kinam in the house, put on the altar, so that the house naturally avoids evil spirits, protecting homeowners and relatives from evil thoughts, negative energies.
People with diseases want to find it as a miracle medicine that can cure diseases, especially neurological diseases. It is said that drinking alcohol from Kinam agarwood once to avoid stroke. Not sure, but it can be seen that just by smelling the Kinam oud smell, the spirit is refreshing, the mind is gentle, smelling once, remembering and not forgetting.
Westerners often use Kinam oud as a flavoring agent in high-end perfumes. Because it is difficult to synthesize any odor like the natural smell of Kinam.
Why is not easy to find and buy Kinam oud?
Kinam oud is rare because not only Vietnamese but also Chinese and Japanese are always willing to spend big money to own Kinam products. The quantity of Kinam in the forest is almost exhausted, increasing the demand and great value leads to the sale of fake kinam agarwood. Most of the customers are amateurs in kinam agarwood. They never ever held, smelled the real kinam agarwood directly. The greedy seller sells fake kinam agarwood, sell agarwood at kinam price without warranty. You are also not able to meet the real Kinam sellers.
READ MORE: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AGARWOOD
Different between Kinam Oud and Agarwood
It’s not easy to recognize the wood piece is Kinam oud or high-grade agarwood, special if you are amateur. However, we can share some of our know-how and experiences to recognize the differentiation between Kinam oud and agarwood. We separate into 03 methods: Without burning, burning and testing in a biological laboratory.
1. Firstly, without burning Kinam – Agarwood method:
- Checking the wood appearance: The easy way is to use the microscope to see the surface of wood pieces. If they are Kinam, you can see full of Kinam oil inside the wood fibers, like honey or wax. In opposite, the high-grade agarwood seems solid resin, dark oud oil, not wet. You can see the picture below for more details different between kinam oud and agarwood:
- The next tip, chew the wood piece. If the Kinam Oud, you can feel several tastes like sweet, bitter, sour and acrid. If the agarwood, you often feel the bitter taste only. In addition, you also feel the numbness of your tongue if the wood piece is Kinam Oud. Agarwood cannot make your tongue numbness. And because of Kinam oud is softer than agarwood, so you can feel soft when you chew.
- The last tip for checking Kinam without burning: You should smell the wood chips at normal environment temperature. All of Kinam types have full of Kinam oud oil inside, so they have a strong fragrance at environment temperature. If you keep the Kinam piece in the plastic bag. After 1-2 days, you can smell it through the plastic bag, don’t need to open the bag. And there are not all of high-grade agarwood type fragrance at low temperature like Kinam oud.
2. Secondly, burning Kinam Oud and Agarwood method:
- If you burn the agarwood chips, you will see a spiral smoke. And the smoke from agarwood chips is disappeared swiftly. The smell of agarwood chips is fragrance and normally sweet smell.
- With Kinam, you only need a very small piece like 1/5 of agarwood chip piece to burning. The Kinam oud smoke has appeared immediately when you put the Kinam piece to the hot agarwood burner. You can see a straight smoke rising up and disappear slowly. The smell of Kinam oud is very different from agarwood smell. It’s like a compound of fruit, coffee, and milk…Kinam oud smell is very impressed fragrance and difficult to forget. You should try it one time if you are an agarwood lover.
3. Testing Kinam oud in a biological laboratory.
The Japanese scientist found in Kinam pieces that collected in Nha Trang a new spirovetivane-type sesquiterpene in 2006. It is (4R,5R,7R)-1(10)-Spirovetiven-11-ol-2-one sesquiterpene. Until now, they have not found this sesquiterpene in agarwood yet. So this sesquiterpene might be used as one of the important indications of quality evaluation of Kynam. This sesquiterpene has the highest grade significantly induced the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) exon III–V mRNA expression in rat cortical cells.